Hey everyone! It’s your friendly neighborhood bluesman back again. Last time I was here we talked about 10 Blues Songs about Drugs; this time, it’s about the monkey juice, alcohol.
Alcohol has always been a staple in the music of the blues. Whenever your baby treat you bad you get to drinkin’, when the man brings you down, you get to drinkin’, when you can’t be satisfied, you get to drinkin’ … you get the drift.
I have compiled a list of 10 songs about alcohol, some funny and some miserable. Hope you enjoy this musical journey!
10. Alcohol Blues – Oscar “Preacher” Nelson & Newton “Hoss” Nelson
9. Old Rub Alcohol Blues – Dock Boggs
8. Alcohol Blues – Mance Lipscomb
7. Whiskey Head Woman – Tommy McClennan
6. Bad Whiskey Blues – Leroy Carr & Black Boy Shine
5. Hey Bartender – Floyd Dixon
4. Gin Bottle Blues – Lightnin’ Hopkins
3. Sittin Here Drinkin’ – Muddy Waters
2. I Ain’t Drunk – Albert Collins
1. One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer – John Lee Hooker
About author: Good blues to ya! My name is Ali Sleeq, a self-proclaimed messenger of the blues, and musician. Those who know me well understand how obsessed I am with the genre, ever since I was a high schooler. I also have headed several blues bands in Lebanon and Kuwait, and regularly blog and tweet about the blues.